Well, I suck a lot of balls. HA ha! Here's what I missed from the end of 2014.
Shoebox Project - that deserves its own separate post. In general, it was an awesome experience and in specific, SOMEONE DONATED A USED THONG PANTY. Here's our house the day the movers were coming to take 600 shoeboxes to the Downtown East Side Women's shelter:
A Bitter Spirit - Katr and Drtr did another amazing year of their ambitious, delicious, boozacious Cocktail Advent Calendar. This year, each cocktail was based on a holiday carol and I HIGHLY recommend you go check out their blog for inspiration. This one was one of my favourites, for obvious reasons:
We spent a glorious few days on Vancouver Island with the family, then returned to flop on the couch, eat turkey, admire my village and watch a lot of TV. HEAVEN.
I got some new villagers this year:
Our tree *might* need to have some new lights next year:
And OMG EMMY IS SO CUTE IN HER PYJAMAS:
As is my wont, I thought I'd check back to last year's resolutions to see how I did! Results: mixed.
1. See more plays. Well, I definitely saw more plays (and live performances in general) last year than I did the year before, so that's a win! I also joined a lady playwriting group, so while I may not be flitting about opening nights and drinking plastic glasses of shitty wine at intermissions on a regular basis, at least I'm reading a lot of plays and going to readings here and there and generally feeling like less of a liar when I tell people I'm a playwright.
2. Write more plays. I just finished the first draft of my new play a couple of weeks ago, so SUCK IT 2014 RESOLUTION!!
3. Ferment. Our sole attempt at fermentation in 2014 went like this: Katr tried to ferment some lemons. But the photos in the fermentation book didn't match the instructions in the fermentation book, so that was confusing. And then Katr set aside the lemons to ferment in a cool dark space and then we both kind of forgot about them and the tl;dr there is we rotted some lemons in a jar.
4. Knit more. My perennial plan to knit more was foiled by an RSI I developed in my right shoulder over the summer, which made knitting hurt too much. But I've rehabbed myself and learned to mouse with my left hand, so I'm back on the knitting train! Sadly, it's slow-going secret knitting, so I basically can't show you anything. But the good news is I bought a WHOLE lot more yarn this year, even though I didn't have room!
5. Weekly reading night. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK YOU BOOKS
6. Board games. We definitely didn't stick to our biweekly board game schedule. But I *think* we played more games than last year and Katr's doing some sort of board game geek challenge this year, so we've already played more in January than we did over most of last year.
Here are this year's resolutions:
1. Try a new recipe once a week. This is turning out VERY well. My favourite part is that Katr often takes it upon herself to make the new recipe, so instead of prepping and assembling chicken pesto proscuitto roulades, I'm just eating them. #WINNING Our most recent recipe was "slow cooker butter nut and bison cocoa chili". Do not recommend.
2. Weekly reading night. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA okay, this is still something we can do, but we need to pick the right weeknight. Yeah, that's it.
3. Turn 40. It's inevitable, but I feel like I should do it INTENTIONALLY instead of just letting it happen.
4. Finish a draft of my play that doesn't suck. When I finished my most recent draft, I allowed myself to let it suck a little, because if you finish it, and it sucks, then you can fix it, but if you never finish it, then that's dumb. SCIENCE.
5. I feel like I should have five resolutions, like, a minimum of five. Take more walks? Wear pants only on weekdays? Kick my Kingdom Rush habit? HAHA, just kidding I love you Kingdom Rush. Oh, I know...BLOG MORE.